We are seeking a Business Development Manager
Start date: as soon as possible.
Place of work: Castle Bromwich Historic Gardens, Castle Bromwich, Birmingham,B36 9BT
Reporting to: The General Manager
Hours per week: 37 hours per week with weekend and evening work as appropriate.
Salary: circa £30,000 p.a.
Contract Length: 18 month contract with a three month probationary period.
Castle Bromwich Historic Gardens is a Grade II* rescued formal garden – a piece of baroque 18th century countryside on the edge of a 21st century city. It is run by a Charitable Trust, a very small team of employed staff and over 100 volunteers. It opens to the public over 300 days per year, runs formal and informal outdoor learning programmes, a series of cultural and leisure events and supports a small café and shop.
Mindful of decreasing public revenues it is rapidly developing and trialling newer business models to support its continued survival and positive growth.
This is an exciting new role made possible by National Lottery Heritage Funding and requires a dynamic, proactive and reliable individual with a strategic outlook and practical track record of commercial development within smaller heritage and historic attractions.
The Business Development Manager will report to the General Manager and work with a very small staff team and willing volunteers. Your role will be to develop existing and new commercial activities into sustainable, profitable income streams,which also enhance the Gardens’ brand.
You will work closely with the General Manager to ensure seamless integration of all commercial activities into the daily running of the Gardens. The activity and output of this role must be consistent with the overall strategy for the Gardens.
The role of the post is to:
- Analyse the performance of current income generating activities and research / collect data that enables effective planning for improvement
- Review the markets in which the Gardens operates and understand the demand for, and potential of current products/services
- Research the markets for potential new products/services
- Develop a plan for business development for approval by the Trustees
- Test new income generating ideas
- Implement plans to improve the performance of existing activities and introduce new ones
- Train staff and volunteers to run the new and improved business activities
- Oversee the implementation of a new EPOS system, including the training of staff and volunteers, to improve retail performance and management information
Initially, we expect the Business Development Manager to focus on:
- Actively developing and leading the Gardens’programming including, activities to build visitor numbers and special, ticketed events
- Introduction of the EPOS system
- Developing the wedding and venue hire business
All business development initiatives will need to either be operated by existing staff and/or volunteers, or be of sufficient scale to warrant an increase in staffing. It is hoped that more volunteers can be recruited to support business development activities as they are put in place.
Experience and skills required:
- Experience of researching, developing and launching new business activities, particularly in the heritage sector
- Experience of improving the performance of existing business activities.
- Experience of financial planning and control
- Experience of negotiation
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and experience of working in a small team
- Understanding of the constraints and opportunities of commercial development within a not-for-profit environment
- Experience of training/mentoring others
Please email your cv together with a covering letter outlining what you have to offer the role by 19th July 2019 send to firstname.lastname@example.org
For an informal chat about this role with the General Manager please phone the office or email her on Gen.email@example.com
Interviews will be held at the Gardens on Monday 29th July in the Gardens